10/14/16 Blog

I’m almost ready for winter at this time.   I applied a soil conditioner earlier in the week with the hope that it- along with another application in the spring- will help make my soil more nutritious and balanced before next year’s planting.  In addition,  I pulled all the remaining pepper plants and tomatoes and cleaned up the cages that I use for the tomatoes.   With any luck,  I’ll be able to get everything worked into the ground so it can decompose.

All that really remains now is covering the strawberry plants up when the time arises, harvesting the last two celery, working the remaining plant material into the ground and getting everything put away.   I will try to get all of that done in the next two or three weeks.   I’ll update again as things finalize.

10/7/16 Blog

With cooler fall temperatures making an initial appearance this week, I’ve been busier with year-end duties.  I pulled the fall red beets Wednesday and while there were some nice ones, I could tell that were hurt by the drought.  I passed them on to my mother with the hope of receiving some beet jelly in the near future.  That stuff is as good as any fruit based preserve I’ve ever tasted!

I’ve also transplanted some of the new fall growth that the strawberry runners are producing.  I lost four of my original eight plants this summer, but am now up to 15 total.   Hopefully, I can 3 to 6 more started before Jack Frost sets in and I have to cover everything up for the impending winter cold.

All that remains in my garden now are the tomatoes – which are beginning to die off – and the green and jalapeño peppers.   As they expire in the next month or so and I pull the final two celery that I have, I’ll finish the fall tilling and begin to put everything away.  Before long, I’ll start making plans for next year’s exploits.   I’ll post a couple more times as the year comes to a close.